Thursday, 3 October 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette






Urban Decay can do no wrong in my eyes.  Their Naked collection has been one of the most popular collections ever. It includes the famous Original Naked Palette, the Naked Palette 2, the Naked Basics Palette, the Naked Flushed Palette (bronzer, blusher, highlight), the Naked foundation and BB cream, lipglosses, powders and as far as I know, a few Naked nail varnishes with colours matching the Original Palette. Basically, it is the perfect collection for someone who leans towards the more natural or "naked" colour scheme. 

So far, I have two of the mentioned products; the Original Palette which I am head over heels in love with and the Naked Basics Palette both courtesy of Santa, (thank you). I will post a bit more of a lengthy post on the Original Palette if anyone wants but to be honest, there are already millions of reviews online and I don't want to bore you all. Although I will say, I use both these palettes every single day so that should prove how much I love them.






Anyway, onto the actual review.  The Naked Basics Palette comes with 6 shades, 5 being a matte finish and then the intended highlighter "Venus" being a slightly satin-y finish. At first glance, I was slightly disappointed there were only 6 shades on offer, with the Original palette containing 12. However, as the name suggests, this is only intended to cover the basic needs of an eye make-up look such as contouring, highlighting and lining the eye before you would go in with extra colour if wanted. 

Personally, I tend to reach for my Original palette to add a tiny pop of colour because most days I need to brighten up my eyes. However, I have created a look using just the Basics alone which is why I highly recommend this palette. It is perfect for creating a simple eye look, for those days when you just don't have the time to mess around or when you are wearing a dramatic lip colour and need only a slight contouring of the eye to add shape and dimension. 






The shades in the palette are;

Venus, a light creamy colour with a satin finish perfect for highlighting the inner corner of the eye and around the tear duct area. I also use the tiniest bit of it on the brow bone to softly highlight that area when wearing a more dramatic eye look.

Foxy, a yellow toned matte shade which I use as a base colour before I even begin to contour. I find putting a base colour on after primer helps all the other colours blend better. I also use this on the brow bone when I want a more natual highlight. 

W.O.S, a pink toned matte shade, used in the exact same way as Foxy but more suited to people with naturally pink under-toned skin. 

Naked 2, the most perfect contour colour. It has a slightly grey tone so creates a more natural contour (shadow). I wish they would release a blusher or face contour in a shade similar to this. It's quite light too so on pale skin like my own it blends in great. 

Faint, a darker contour colour, it's more brown than grey. I use it all along the crease line if i want a more dramatic effect, or just in the outer edges to help create that winged out "V" shape. This would be great on darker skin tones.

Crave, an extremely dark and pigmented black shade. It is so hard to get a pure black shadow, without any glitter and one that is pigmented enough to create the desired effect. I mainly use this as a liner when I don't want to overload the eye with gel liner. It gives a real smooth line and is great if you want to define the eye but in a subtle way. I also pop this into the outer corners of the crease to create a dramatic winged out effect. 





As I have already mentioned, I use this palette every single day and I would recommend it to anyone. It is so handy to have in your make-up bag as all the matte shades you could ever need are all together in a perfectly sized compact. Also, it's perfect to chuck in your handbag and use on the go. There's a mirror in the inside which is great however, it would have been even better if a travel sized blending brush was included as taking out extra brushes while on the go can be a pain in the arse. 

It is priced at 26euro (the other two eye palettes being 44euro) so I think it is great value for what you are getting. These things last FOREVER too.



Available at Debenhams and all Urban Decay counters. 




Have you tried it?
Have you got any of the Naked Collection yet?
And will I do a full review on the Original Palette?











No comments:

Post a Comment